Liveblog of presentation by Christopher Penn, one of the originators of Podcamp (from Boston) http://www.FinancialAidPodcast.com
Slides are on the wiki.
Some key considerations:
- make sure your podcast name can be heard and understood on an auditory basis (you can hear it clearly)
- promote your podcast on your MySpace page
- need multiple channels and deliveries
- RSS, iTunes, Flash, MP3, WinAmp, email (30% of his audience receives it via email)
- no more than one click to listen to the show
Turn listeners into subscribers
- good show content
- calls to action during the show
- iTunes – itpc (like http) puts it directly into iTunes – pcast is older version of itpc link
- itpc shows up as text in email; he will show us how to create a direct link from the wiki later
- give people a reason to promote you – e.g. he uses podsafe music, leaves comments on the bands’ website so people can find him – they can link back to him
- ID3 tags – fill them in – lyrics tab – put the show notes. It is metadata that gets indexed
- friend adder on MySpace – costs money – friendadder.com – you can do demographic searches and add people. Can request up to 400 people.
- make sure our MySpace profile is robust – Feedplayer – put MP3s right on your page
- Technorati and Google Blog search
- think about what words that you use in your vertical that nobody else uses – search and you may find those with MySpace blogs who would be able to add you as a friend. Google Blog search puts the friend ID from MySpace right in the search results. He has a script to pull all the friend IDs and load them into MySpace which he will be giving away.
- Facebook is not indexed by Google. Turn everyone on LinkedIn automatically into friends on Facebook [blogger notes: sorry, I missed how he did this].
- Google Analytics – “website statistics on crack”
- Crazy Egg – makes a heat map to show you where on your site people are clicking – MP3 link inside a blog post is very hot. If you have a WordPress blog, for example, you can put it into a footer. 14 day free trial available.
Evangelists count the most – people who are promoting you
Make your show easy to promote.
Tags for del.icio.us and stumbleupon – make sure you choose as many keywords as possible. Do a keyword density search e.g. the one at SEOTools.com then copy the whole list into http://del.icio.us.com . Stumbleupon – peer to peer random stumbling – does not index the whole web; if you tag things people will find them faster.
iTunes can lose episodes – can take 5 days to appear
Mybloglog – Yahoo just bought them a month ago.
Podshowplus – you can script it so that everyone becomes your friend
iLike.com – you can add every single person as your friend – there are no restrictions on this
LastFM – a music recommendation service – start a label and pages get created automatically – if you keep your name consistent your material will keep getting added to the same name