On behalf the organizing team, we’re really excited about this weekend! Now, there have been some concerns expressed by folks who are planning to attend about the number of registrants. Even allowing for the usual drop-off we’d expect for a free event like this, it would appear we have more potential attendees than capacity in our session rooms. We have
tried to book some additional space, but unfortunately Ryerson and other surrounding facilities are already full-up.
As the facilities and scheduling organizer of Podcamp Toronto, I want to apologize in advance for any inconvenience you might suffer over the weekend. Basically, it’s looking like things will be VERY crowded, and I sincerely hope you and your fellow attendees are not too put out.
Since Podcamp is an “unconference” driven by the community, I’d like to ask for your help to make the event a success:
- NOT ATTENDING? If you are no longer planning to attend Podcamp, I’d ask that you remove your name from the list as this helps us tremendously in planning. As a reminder, the list is located online at http://podcamptoronto.pbwiki.com/PodcampTorontoRegistrants — if you have any trouble removing your name, please let me know and I’ll be happy to assist.
- INFORMAL DISCUSSIONS – If you find a room you had hoped to be in is full, consider gathering some like-minded folks for an informal discussion in the halls or one of the many cafes or restaurants nearby Ryerson. Some of the best learning experiences at Podcamp are these kinds of moments.
- VIDEO ARCHIVE – Although attending a session live is of course the ideal situation, you should know that our hosts at the Rogers Communications Centre at Ryerson are once again kindly archiving video online from the sessions, so you can always catch a talk or panel after Podcamp is over if you miss it live.
- WIRELESS INTERNET – We will have free WiFi access, but local bandwidth is limited. Please be respectful of your fellow attendees — don’t live stream video or upload/download big files. Use the WiFi for text-based communication (email, blogs, Twitter) so that everyone can expect a reasonable connection speed.
- NO FREE LUNCH – Please note that due to the number of registrants, we will not be providing lunches this year. Please check out http://podcamptoronto.pbwiki.com/PodcampToronto2009Map for a map of local eateries.
The whole organizing team is very proud to be putting on our third annual Podcamp here in Toronto, and we hope you will make the most of your Podcamp experience. Remember, your learning experience at an unconference is driven by YOU!
Enjoy the weekend, and I look forward to seeing you.